Thursday, January 18

The Works Are Not So Much Working

Bug's swallow study went about as expected. As in, he has a problem with swallowing. Of course! We can't go a week without a new medical complication in these parts! I must say, though, as these things go, it's not that bad. He is aspirating thin liquids--which is to say, inhaling liquids of normal, non-artificially-thickened, consistency. So we've got to thicken all the liquids now. Again. I think that when we had issues with this before I was not blogging so I haven't discussed it.

The 30 second recap: the nerve that controls the right (?) vocal cord was injured during Bug's heart surgery (a very very common complication) and it was partially paralyzed for a while. Your vocal cords are actually very important in swallowing because, in layman's terms, they move to cover the opening to your lungs and keep food and gunk out of there. And his didn't work so well. So I couldn't nurse him for fear of aspiration and he was limited to bottles of thickened breastmilk for a while.

He got the all clear for normal liquid consumption about 6 months ago. So, I am confused as to how he has a problem with this again? And is it related to his speech delays? I am not sure who to ask about it either. The medical type persons at the swallow study (a radiologist and an occupational therapist) didn't have much insight beyond interpreting the immediate results. I would ask the ped, but he's still on my list.

Stay tuned.

p.s. The first day at the new job went just fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the new job is going well--it sounded like a great fit for you!

I'm sorry, though, about this new complication, and I hope you can get some helpful answers about it. It would make sense that this is related to the speech delay, I would think. Hopefully the people at his new school can help?

Sorry for this new curveball. Hugs to the wee one.

Bittermama said...

Seriously, can someone cut you a break?!?! I'm glad you got at least some initial answers about what's going on. I'm really thinking a new pediatrician is in order, but if you must stick with the old one, do at least set up some time to go over what it all means. I would think that vocal cord issues would be related to speech delay, but what do I know?

And I'm so glad the new job is going well!