Wednesday, April 5

Mad Baby

Tomorrow is Baby Bug's third post-op appointment with his pediatric cardiologist (PC) and I have been fighting with a feeling of impending doom for two weeks now. Oh lovely internets, you have been there for me countless times and I turn to you yet again. It's going to be ok, right?

Since I skipped most of the oogy parts, let me fill you in on the necessary background. Baby Bug had a severely narrowed portion of his aorta (a coarctation of the aorta), which is the main artery supplying blood to the body, and also a hypoplastic (narrowed) transverse aortic arch. These problems meant that he was getting precious little precious blood circulating to about 2/3 of his body, which showed up clinically as really high blood pressure in the arm (before the obstruction) and significantly lower pressure in the leg (after the obstruction). This discrepancy in the blood pressure is caused by the fact that the heart is having to work so much harder to try to push the blood through the obstruction (high in arm) but it doesn't really get through much (low in leg); it is referred to as the gradient. Does that make sense (in an amateur cardiologist kind of way)? Incidentally, you should have no gradient a'tal.

So then, pre-op, Baby Bug's gradient was 40-50. Post-op, it was zero, and all was as it should be. Two weeks ago, it was 25. I don't know the whole range of explanations for the new gradient, but from what I understand, this is not a good development. As in, it appears that there may be some sort of (new? returned?) obstructive-ness going on in there.

On top of that crap sundae, my boy has hypertension that just won't quit. As in double the BP a lad of his size should be presenting. Even while medicated. (And I know what you're thinking, but no, it has absolutely nothing to do with my own personal BP issues. I wish it did--it would be less scary, medically speaking.) This is, in the words of his PC, "surprising."

So.

Got any chicken bones left to shake out there, internet aunties?

I swear to all that is holy we will one day be healthy again over here in the Bug Household and talk about something else.

8 comments:

Susie said...

I'm crossing everything for your sweet little boy to be healthy soon. Good luck tomorrow.

Cass said...

I'll shake a whole damn chicken if it might help. At the very least, I'll be crossing everything that they find an easily treatable cause for the latest problems.

Anonymous said...

Shaking chickens and dogs and cats for your little man.

I really wish you the best and am thinking all the positive thoughts I can for you.

Be strong little one!

Anonymous said...

Mud-

sorry to hear of your worry regarding tomorrows appt. I work in Cardiology (Adult and Pediatric Echosonographer) with patients who have all kinds of congenital defects, and see daily the stress of the parents of the young patients.

I wish you the best, and also am shaking chicken bones that this is just a minor blip on the radar screen of baby mudbug's life.

Jen

JJ said...

Suprizing -- not a good word choice.

I wish you many boring 'run of the mill' Dr appts from here on in.

Anonymous said...

Crossing everything I can cross for your little boy. And shaking whatever I can shake too. Good luck tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's Thursday now & I hope you are getting some answers from the cardiologist. Our heart kids will always keep us wondering.

Anonymous said...

What a great site