Thursday, September 8

A Long Overdue Update

1. I am now 19 weeks and 3 days and noticeably pregnant. Can you freaking believe that?

2. It's a boy! Here's the latest photo opportunity:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3. As of last week, I have suddenly developed high blood pressure and assorted related worries. My BP was 120/70 last month, and was in the high 150s/90s unmedicated, with spikes up into the 170s/100s. I started Aldomet Tuesday, and is now hovering at around 140/80s medicated. I think it needs to be lower still.

Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (PIH) is not a good thing, but it's much much better than pre-eclampsia, which is looming on the horizon. As I understand it, a diagnosis of pre-e is appropriate with consistent BP readings of 150/90, plus 300 uu* of protein in a 24 hour urine sample. My protein is currently 169.

I am freaked about this, despite the lowering of the BP with medication, because it's such a rollercoaster of unknown quantities. It could easily get much much better and never develop into pre-e and just cruise along until full term. It could also easily get much much worse and quickly, anytime between now and January 30. Many PIH and pre-e babies are significantly premature. But, we have no idea at all what will happen. Other than a higher level of medical vigilance from here on out.

No, apparently it never ends. And I was just starting to get kind of comfy in that pregnancy bubble too.

*unknown unit

5 comments:

PJ said...

Sorry about the high BP. Glad the medication appears to be helping some. I'll keep everything crossed that the PIH doesn't go any further than it already has.

Congratulations on your son.

Bittermama said...

So sorry for the scariness, Muddy. Definitely keep us updated on any further developments. I'll be keeping you and your little guy in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the high BP. I hope the meds keep on helping so you can finally get a break. Please keep us updated!

Oh and congratulations for the little boy! I'm expecting a boy too!

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the BP and Pre e scare - fingers crossed for you. Congrats on the 19 weeks and the boy!

Dee said...

Congrats on your son!

As for PIH, I had it diagnosed around 32 weeks or so and my baby was born three weeks early and healthy. Hopefully, yours "cooks" just as long, if not longer.