Thursday, June 16

The Good News

is that K. and I seem to have reached a detente in our war. At least for now. And thank God.

So today we'll be taking a survey--how do you choose an OB? Here's the situation: The only OB/Gyn I have seen in years was one visit with Dr. Quiet before running to the RE. She seems pretty nice but her staff is semi-bitchy and she can't see me until July 15. I will be nearly 12 weeks. I don't like this.

Choice #2 is Dr. Hands Off, who is highly recommended by my mother the L&D nurse as a non-interventionist doctor. He can see me at the end of June at 9 weeks. This is much much much better. However, he was the OB when K and Ex were expecting A, five years ago. He did not deliver, but he was the official OB. This creeps me out a little. Particularly since it bugs me that K has already had his first baby experience--and it turns out it was with this Doctor. Of course.

Plan C was to try to find someone else entirely. It seems that all the Drs. people like and recommend are either so very popular you can't get an appointment or else they have gotten so popular they don't deliver anymore. And the rest just seem to suck. Midwives are not a real option because they can only do home births here and I don't think that's a good idea with a first timer.

Any thoughts? I think I may just have to get over it. I mean, I need to actually find an OB, right?

3 comments:

Bittermama said...

Hmmm... my vote (for what little it's worth) is to find someone else entirely. I don't like the sound of the bitchy staff (they're the ones who really matter, after all!) and I don't think you need one more reason to dwell on the fact that your hubs has been through this before.

So... Maybe your mom knows some other L&D folks with recommendations? I think the best recs in the world come from the L&D nurses. That's sort of how I found my OB.

Also, think a little about what you want... and where you want to deliver. Do you want there to be a NICU available? Do you want a group practice where you're left to the luck of the draw? A solo-practitioner where you may have appointments that get bumped for deliveries?

I love my OB - he's probably considered by some to be quick to intervene, but I have to say that I'd rather have intervention if there's any risk of something going wrong. I gave up on the idea of an idyllic birth experience a long time ago. He's a solo practitioner, takes lots of time to get to know his patients and is worshipped as a god by the OB nurses. Plus, he's like Dr. Cosby with a cute Jamaican accent!

By the way - there's an excellent book you should pick up called Baby 411. The perfect book for a true CFer like yourself. It has a great section on birth planning, choosing a doctor, etc.

Cass said...

Clearly, I have no experience with this. That said, I'm going to contribute my own assvice to the party.

I think the absolutely most important thing is that you're comfortable with your OB. Lindy mentioned lots of useful things to think about in that domain (size of practice, hospital affiliation, etc.) but it will all come down to what makes you comfortable. It sounds to me like you won't be so comfortable with Dr. Hands Off because of his history wih K and Ex, and that's just as important (if not moreso) than the size of the practice or whatever.

How bitchy is the staff at Dr. Quiet's office? If the only problem is the delay, maybe you can start with someone else and if you don't like them, you can switch to her? I don't know how this is done, I'm just trying to come up with a fourth option!

Katalyst said...

I just stumbled onto your blog... BUT...

I think you need to find a totally different OB then the two you know of at this point in time. My first experience with an OB in this town was HORRIBLE- she basically acted like I was crazy when I pointed out that my HCG was no where near doubling and that I was sure I was going to miscarry. Did she offer any further testing? Did she offer anything at all? Nope- she called me 'over-emotional' and said that I was getting excited over nothing.

Did I miscarry? You bet I did. Thank goodness, I actually found a different doctor before we lost that baby or I would have decked that woman if I had to see her again!

The second doctor, I lucked into- but without any recommendations. I DO ask the staff what they think and if they are warm and bubbly, I usually assume that it's a doctor they like.

Anyways, I hate to say this- but I think luck of the draw will come in to effect here. If you don't like the OB you see first, go to a different one. I think you can even 'interview' OBs to see which one you like the best- you might try that as well.