Friday, July 29

Perhaps It's Time for an Update?

I have recently discovered (due to T's sharp eyes) that the invisible ink trick doesn't work on Bloglines. Ahem. So, screw it. I am having enough trouble talking about this without losing the blog haven too.

I am now 13 weeks, 4 days and I seem to be having a weird reaction to this pregnancy thing. I can't talk about it with pretty much anyone. I have been planning to tell people at work--and actively trying to do it--for several weeks now with very very little success. You may remember when I couldn't say the words, "I want a baby," on command to my therapist? It's a very similar feeling. I cannot seem to get the words out of my mouth. And so day after day after day passes and very few people know.

What in the hell is this about? I know that some of it is that I don't really want the oohing and aahing that seem to be inevitable and I especially don't want the suddenly intimate questions about bodily functions, etc. But I don't know about the rest of it. I don't feel especially paralyzed with fear these days--we've made it to the second trimester with basically no problems past the early days and I have no reason to think we won't end up with a baby at the end of this. So, that's not really it. I'm honestly somewhat baffled.

But the baby which A. has named Baby Peach (her size a couple of weeks ago) is doing just fine and waved to Grandma during an illicit u/s at Grandma's hospital last week.

There are most certainly no words for that.

5 comments:

PJ said...

Don't worry about telling everyone, you can always wait until it's pretty obvious.

I'm glad you've made it to the 2nd trimester and that you are thinking positively.

That is too cool that the baby waved to Gramma.

Will you be finding out the sex?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything is going fine with you and baby Peach. I totally understand, I can't seem to be able to tell people! I was so happy to tell my dad at first, but almost none of my friends know! Like you, I don't like the way people act, as if by telling them there's a baby in my belly, I give them the right to enter my intimate space and ask all sorts of personnal questions. I guess it'll come out eventually.

Anonymous said...

Man, I feel for you. I am 12w4d and dreading telling people too. I told one of my best friends yesterday and almost gagged over her out-of-control excitement. Isn't that horrible? I know my mother-in-law will be even worse.

Even though I know they are just happy for me, I feel like they should understand that this is no time for screaming and jumping up and down. It's scary enough as it is. Don't they remember how many I've lost?

Okay, sorry to ramble on. I just wanted to say I understand. Tell them when you're ready.

Bittermama said...

When I was pregnant with my son (after infertility and injectibles/IUI), for various reasons, we told almost no one but close family (parents, siblings) and my two best friends until I was 17 weeks. Partly it was spotting that I had at the beginning of the second tri and partly some awkward work/school etc. issues.

It should be a nice moment for you, so I say wait as long as you like so that you can enjoy it rather than dread it.

Anonymous said...

I get sick thinking about having to tell people, I feel for you. And yes, the invisible ink deal is probably going out the window. Oh well, good experiment, right?